top of page

On Friday, May 20th, the town of Gaylord was damaged by an uncommon F3 tornado. The tornado caused many injuries, loss of life and a great deal of damage to homes and businesses. As most of us do in Northern Michigan when we hear of a tragedy, we ask how we can help. Here is what we know so far.

You may make donations through these very reputable local organizations.

The Otsego County Community Foundation

The Otsego United Way

The United Way has volunteer opportunities to help the community. If you’d like to know more, click here.

If you are struggling with your mental health after this crisis, North Country Community Mental Health is available to you 24 hours a day at 877-470-4668.

If you need supplies or food, the E Free Church (1649 E M32) has both available for all those who have  been effected. Many community partners have donated food and would love to share with you.

If you would like to donate supplies, drop them off at The United Way at 116 E.5th Street. Items needed:

Gift cards

-Totes to take to Nottingham

-Baby food for babies being introduced to solids, the little meal kits are super helpful

-Cleaning supplies and garbage bags

-Non perishable easy to make foods and things that only need water

-Snacks like trail mixes and protein bars

-Small first aid kits

If you are not sure where to turn, call 211. They can give you options for what ever you need.

Property owners who have damage caused by the tornado on 05/20/22 should contact their insurance companies prior to removing any structural damages to buildings. Insurance companies will want to inspect the damages in their unaltered state. Loose CONSTRUCTION debris in yards can be taken to the Otsego County Fairgrounds parking lot. Loose VEGETATION debris can be taken to the Gaylord Department of Public Works.

The Gaylord Police Department would also like to caution property owners about contractors. Contractors and repairs are a necessary part of the rebuilding process, but occasionally contractors defraud property owners in disasters. Please use caution and good judgement when entering into a financial agreement with any contractors offering their services.

If your children have been displaced, Toys for Tots and toys to help keep them busy. Call 989-619-5586

If you have lost a pet or your home and are unable to care for your pet:

Green Valley Kennel taking all pets: 989.732.3465 and the Mobile Vet for Med Care: 231.545.4145.

The Ostego Animal Shelter has food for dogs and cats if you are in need.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
bottom of page